Reporting A Missing Person

If the person you are reporting is "at risk", meaning they are:

  • A child under 14
  • Have a serious medical condition that requires attention
  • Missing under suspicious circumstances
  • Are suicidal

Call 9-1-1 immediately. Explain the status of the individual to the dispatcher.

To make a missing persons report, please call our Non-Emergency dispatch number: (916) 714-5115.

If you have any information regarding the where-about's of a missing person, please help us reunite them with their families. Please call our Non-Emergency dispatch number: (916) 714-5115.

Please keep in mind the following:

  • There is no waiting period to report someone missing.

  • If you have had a fight with your child and they just walked out the door in anger, they are not missing. Go after them and talk.

  • If you are the legal guardian of a runaway juvenile and you know where the child is, they are not missing. You need to go pick them up. If you have a problem when you get to the child's location, and it is within the city limits of Elk Grove, you may call the non-emergency dispatch number (916) 714-5115 for an officer to respond to assist you. Please remember, officers will not take your child to Juvenile Hall.

    Being a runaway is not a crime
  • Adults without "special circumstances may be "voluntarily" missing. An example of this would be a husband and wife have an argument and the wife leaves. The husband "assumes" she will return but she does not. If there are no indications that foul play occurred, she may be a Voluntary Missing Adult.