Support Services

Records Bureau

The Police Records Bureau is responsible for processing and maintaining the integrity of all police reports, traffic citations, and criminal complaints that officers generate each year.  The Alarm unit is housed in the Bureau.  The Bureau is staffed by Police Records Technicians (PRT), Lead Police Records Technicians, a Records Supervisor and a Records Manager.  The Records Bureau is part of the Support Services Unit and is overseen by the Support Services Commander.

The Records Bureau is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.  The Records Bureau phone number is (916) 478-8170.  For phone calls after hours, a voice message system is available.  All messages will be returned on the next business day.

The Records Bureau is a good source of general department information.  Please feel free to call the Records Bureau for any questions, Records staff will be happy to answer questions or direct callers to the correct department.

Requests for Reports

One task that consumes significant PRT time is the reproduction of official police reports as requested by citizens, District Attorneys, private attorneys, law enforcement, and insurance companies.  Release of information from a police department triggers an elaborate matrix of both departmental and state regulations that specify exactly what information may be released, to whom, and under what circumstances.

PRT's must follow guidelines set forth by the "California Public Records Act" and adhere strictly to Government, Evidence, Labor and Civil codes when releasing reports.  A PRT will process written requests within ten working days or the requesting party will be notified by mail if the request cannot be fulfilled.

  • There is no charge for the report.  
  • Requests for reports can be accepted by mail, fax or in person. 
  • When requested in person, every effort will be made to release the information during the initial visit.  If this is not possible, reports will be mailed to the address listed on the application.   
  • The report may have redacted (blacked out) areas or missing pages.  Redactions are required by laws and policies that govern the release of police information.  Typically, property crimes will only indicate the damaged, lost or stolen articles and values for insurance company purposes to recover the loss.   The investigative portion of the report may not be released to protect the integrity of the investigation, especially if it could lead to apprehension of a responsible individual(s) in the future.
  • Police reports are not released on cases being prosecuted.  Arrested individuals and/or suspects may obtain reports through their legal representatives through the discovery and/or subpoena process.

Portions of crime reports are considered public records and may be released to the general public. Certain information, including telephone numbers, social security numbers and other identifying numbers, the names and addresses of victims of confidential crimes (including sex crimes, domestic violence, and stalking) the statements of involved parties, the identity of suspects who have not yet been arrested, and the analysis and conclusions of investigative personnel are exempt from public disclosure and will be redacted (blacked out) from reports released to the public.

.pdf file Citizens Report Request
.pdf file CLEARS PRA pamphlet


Elk Grove’s Alarm Unit is governed by Elk Grove City Ordinance Chapter 9.16, Title 9.  All residences and businesses within the city are required to obtain an alarm permit.  An alarm permit application is available on this website, by picking one up at the Police Department Service Center, 8400 Laguna Palms Way or one can be mailed by request.  Alarm permits are good for three years.  The fee for every three years is fifty (50) dollars.

New alarm applications must be completed within 30 days of an alarm installation and submitted to the Alarm Unit along with the initial fee of $50 made payable to the City of Elk Grove.  Failure to do so may result in a $250 “Failure to Comply” penalty fee after the 30 day grace period.

Alarm ordinances have been created in municipal governments in an effort to respond to the huge number of false alarms that police officer’s respond to on a daily basis.  EGPD desires that residents and business owners will maintain alarms in such as way as to reduce the number of false alarms, thereby freeing officers to respond to calls where crimes may be occurring.

The alarm ordinance allows that a business or residence may have two false alarms per calendar year without charge.  On the third false alarm, a charge of $75.00 will be assessed.  Additional false alarms will be billed:

4th false:  $100
5th false:  $200
6th false:  $250

Please contact the Alarm Coordinator at (916) 478-8155 for any other questions.

Parking Unit

Parking citations are most commonly issued for vehicles parked in red zones, posted "No Parking" areas and for not displaying a placard in a handicap zone. Please park only in legal locations.

Citizens may pay parking fines in person at the Police Department Service Center, or by mailing fees to:

Elk Grove Police Department
C/O Parking Citation Desk
8400 Laguna Palms
Elk Grove, CA  95758

Failure to Pay a Parking Penalty

Failure to respond to a citation within 21 days may result in one or more of the items listed below:

  1. A $10.00 penalty;
  2. Doubling the parking penalty;
  3. Notification being forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); and
  4. DMV refusals to register or re-register the vehicle until all outstanding parking penalties have been paid in full.

Warning: A vehicle may be immobilized in accordance with Section 22651.7 or impounded in accordance with Section 22651 California Vehicle Code if found to have been issued five or more citations to which the owner or person in control of the vehicle has not responded. Towing, storage and immobilization fees must be paid by the vehicle owner or person in control of the vehicle.

Common Parking Violations Defined

CVC 22507.8(a) Parking in Spaces for the Disabled
Unlawful Parking in Disabled Space

(a) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any vehicle in a stall or space designated for disabled persons and disabled veterans pursuant to section 22511.7 or 22511.8, unless the vehicle displays either a special identification license plate issued pursuant to section 5007, or a distinguishing placard issued, pursuant to section 22511.55 or 22511.59.

CVC 22507.8(b) Parking in Spaces for the Disabled
Blocking Disabled Space

(b) It is unlawful for any person to obstruct, block or otherwise bar access to those parking stalls or spaces, except as provided in subdivision (a).

CVC 22507.8(c)(2) Parking in Spaces for the Disabled
Parking Within Crosshatched Lines

(c) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any vehicle, including a vehicle displaying a special identification license plate issued pursuant to section 5007, or a distinguishing placard issued pursuant to section 22511.55 or 22511.59, in either of the following places:
(2) In any area of the pavement adjacent to a parking stall or space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans that is marked by crosshatched lines and is thereby designated, pursuant to any local ordinance, for the loading and unloading of vehicle parked in the stall or space.

CVC 22500(l) Prohibited Stopping, Standing, or Parking
Stop/Stand/Park - Wheelchair Access Ramp

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(l) In front of or upon that portion of a curb that has been cut down, lowered, or constructed to provide wheelchair accessibility to the sidewalk.

CVC 22500(i) Prohibited Stopping, Standing, or Parking
Parking in Bus Loading Zone

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(i)  Except as provided under section 22500.5, alongside curb space authorized for the loading and unloading of passengers of a bus engaged as a common carrier in local transportation when indicated by a sign or red paint on the curb erected or painted by local authorities pursuant to an ordinance.

CVC 22514 Fire Hydrants
Fire Hydrant/Parked Within 15 Feet

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle within 15 feet of a fire hydrant except as follows:

(a) If the vehicle is attended by a licensed driver who is seated in the front seat and who can immediately move the vehicle in case of necessity.

(b) If the local authority adopts an ordinance or resolution reducing that distance. If the distance is less than 10 feet total length when measured along the curb or edge of the street, the distance shall be indicated by signs or marking.

(c) If the vehicle is owned or operated by a fire department and is clearly marked as a fire department vehicle.

CVC 22500.1 Additional Prohibited Stopping, Standing, or Parking:  Fire Lane

In addition to section 22500, no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device along the edge of any highway, at any curb, or in any location in a publicly or privately owned or operated off-street parking facility, designated as a fire lane by the fire department or fire district with jurisdiction over the area in which the place is located.

The designated shall be indicated (1) by a sign posted immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the designated place clearly stating in letters not less than one inch in height that the place is a fire lane, (2) by outlining or painting the place in red and, in contrasting color, marking the place with the words “FIRE LANE" which are clearly visible from a vehicle, or (3) by a red curb or red paint on the edge of the roadway upon which is clearly marked the words “FIRE LANE".

CVC 22500(f) Prohibited Stopping, Standing, or Parking
Vehicle Parked on a Sidewalk

No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle whether attended or unattended, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or official traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(f)  On any portion of a sidewalk, or with the body of the vehicle extending over any portion of a sidewalk, except electric carts when authorized by local ordinance, as specified in Section 21114.5. Lights, mirrors, or devices that are required to be mounted upon a vehicle under this code may extend from the body of the vehicle over the sidewalk to a distance of not more than 10 inches.

CVC 22502(a) Curb Parking
More Than 18 Inches From Curb/Angle Parking

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel with and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb, except that motorcycles shall be parked with at least one wheel or fender touching the right hand curb. Where no curbs or barriers bound any roadway, right-hand parallel parking is required unless otherwise indicated.

CVC 22502(b) Curb Parking
Parked on Wrong Side of Street

(b) The provisions of subdivision (a) or (e) do not apply to a commercial vehicle if a variation from the requirements of subdivision (a) or (e) is reasonably necessary to accomplish the loading or unloading of merchandise or passengers on, or from, such vehicle and while anything connected with such loading, or unloading, is being executed.

This subdivision shall not be construed to permit any vehicle to stop or park upon a roadway in a direction opposite to that in which traffic normally moves upon that half of the roadway on which such vehicle is stopped or parked.

(e) Upon a one-way roadway, vehicles may be stopped or parked as provided in subdivision (a) or with the left-hand wheels parallel to and within 18 inches of the left-hand curb, except that motorcycles, if parked on the left-hand side, shall have either one wheel or one fender touching such curb.  Where no curb or barriers bound any such one-way roadway, parallel parking on either side is required unless otherwise indicated.

CVC 5204(a) Registration Tabs
Current Registration Tabs Not Properly Displayed

(a) Except as provided by subdivisions (b) and (c), a tab shall indicate the year of expiration and a tab shall indicate the month of expiration.  Current month and year tabs shall be attached to the rear license plate assigned to the vehicle for the last preceding registration year in which license plates were issued, and, when so attached, the license plate with the tabs shall, for the purposes of this code, be deemed to be the license plate, except that truck tractors, and commercial motor vehicles having a declared gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more, shall display the current month and year tabs upon the front license plate assigned to the truck tractor or commercial vehicle.  Vehicles that fail to display current month and year tabs or display expired tabs are in violation of this section.

(b) The requirement of subdivision (a) that the tabs indicate the year and the month of expiration does not apply to fleet vehicles subject to Article 9.5 (commencing with section 5300) or vehicles defined in Section 468.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply when proper application for registration has been made pursuant to Section 4602 and the new indicia of current registration have not been received from the department.

Towed Vehicles

Citizens who have had their vehicles stored or impounded by the Elk Grove Police Department must appear in person at the Police Department Service Center to have that vehicle released.  Registered owners or their designee must show a valid California Driver's License and current registration.

Release of Towed/Stored Vehicles
  • The cost for the release of a towed/stored vehicle is $170. This fee is in addition to any fees imposed on the vehicle’s registered owner by the tow/storage facility.
  • Vehicles will only be released to the registered owner or agent. Registration and ownership must be current prior to release of any vehicle. If the registered owner is unavailable, a 2nd party release form must be submitted to the Police Department.
  • Vehicles will only be released to a licensed driver.
  • The Police Department will not impose fees on vehicles that have been recovered after theft; however, the registered owner is still liable for fees imposed by the tow/storage facility.
Tow Hearing

In accordance with the provisions of CVC 22852, the registered owner is notified that their vehicle has been stored and has the right to a hearing to determine the validity of the storage. A request for a Tow Hearing must be received within ten days from the date of the notice of storage.  Hearings are conducted by appointment only.  To schedule a Tow Hearing, please contact the Records Bureau at (916) 478-8170.

Repossessed Vehicles
  • The fee for release of a repossessed vehicle is $15 payable at the Police Department Service Center.
VIN Verification
  • Citizens can obtain a VIN Verification by bringing the vehicles to the Police Department, during regular business hours.  A department staff member will examine the VIN and provide verification.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a clearance letter?

A clearance letter is a local criminal history check for the City of Elk Grove only. Forms requesting a clearance letter are available at the Service Center of the Police Department. You must be a current resident of the City of Elk Grove. You must appear in person and have a valid ID showing you are a Elk Grove resident.

How can I contest a traffic citation?

A person who receives a traffic citation may contest it by going to the Carol Miller Justice Court and posting bail (paying the amount of the citation). After the person has posted bail, the court clerk will assign a court date. On the specified date, the person will be able to plead his/her case before a judge and question the officer. If the judge rules in the person’s favor, the bail they posted will be refunded.  Additional information can be obtained by calling the Sacramento County Traffic and Parking Ticket Information Center at (916) 875-7550.

How can I contest a parking violation?

A person can contest a parking violation by calling Elk Grove’s parking enforcement line at (916) 478-8160.  Staff will give you instructions on how to contest the parking citation. All of the instructions must be followed exactly, and within the allotted time period, otherwise the application for a hearing will be forfeited.  It is important that you read all information on the back of your parking citation to get all important timelines and information.

How can I get my car out of storage?

If a vehicle was stored for 30 days because the driver had no license or had a suspended license, a hearing can be requested by calling the Records Bureau (916) 478-8170 within 12 days of the tow. No hearing is required if the 30-day storage period has lapsed. Call (916) 478-8160 to appeal the tow of a parked vehicle. Otherwise, the registered owner or their authorized agent can claim a stored vehicle by coming to the public counter at the Police Department, presenting proper identification, and paying a $170.00 administrative fee.  After the fee is paid, a release form is provided which is then taken to the tow yard. This fee is waived if the vehicle was stolen or if the driver was hospitalized in an accident. The person obtaining the release must have a valid driver's license or be accompanied by someone who does.

The vehicle must have have a temporary operating permit before it can be released.   For any other questions regarding the towing of vehicles, please call Towing Enforcement at (916) 478-8150.

If a vehicle was impounded for evidence, the owner may obtain a release once the Police Department has completed its investigation. Call the Office of Investigations at (916) 478-8060 to determine who the investigating officer is and discuss the release with him/her.

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

You can call the non-emergency dispatch number at (916) 714-5115, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to inquire about a vehicle. Give the vehicle license plate number to the dispatcher who will  run a status check  and advise if  it has been towed or impounded.

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

To report abandoned vehicles call the abandoned vehicle line at (916) 714-5115. Someone will be sent out within 48 hours to check on the vehicle reported.

What can be done about illegally parked vehicles, such as those blocking a driveway?

Call the Police Department's non-emergency number at (916) 714-5115, and a CSO or Officer will be dispatched.

Any other traffic concerns, please call the traffic line at (916) 478-8300.